Style wise w/ Hanna Kovanen

Untitled
Untitled


I asked a few of my friends to tell a little about their style and what inspires them. First in the spotlight, one of my best friends - Hanna.


You can find her blog here.


Who? Hanna Kovanen, blogger at STYLEBY Magazine
Age? 25
Location? Helsinki


Style wise?

I am very selective because I don’t believe having a lot but instead having the right pieces. Nowadays I try to build up a wardrobe I can rely on.


How would you describe your style?

My style is uncomplicated and modern, yet refined and I try to keep it relevant and interesting. So my style is very Scandinavian in that sense.

I tend to choose what I wear on the go, and therefore I wear a lot of basic clothes, like denim, cashmere and a great coat. My style remains relevant by wearing the season’s silhouette and I like to play around with accessories. In the end, I just want look effortlessly chic no matter how overused that description might seem.


What are you favourite brands?

I like brands that offer refined basics and put a lot of effort into getting it right. Even better if the price point is sympathetic which, however, isn’t always the case, but my favourite brands include Toteme, The Row, Céline, Khaite, and Matteau Swim.


Do you have style icons?

There are people I follow for inspiration but I like to do my own thing and trust my own instincts.


Who are they?

For instance Pernille Teisbaek, Elin Kling, Columbine Smille, and Vanessa Traina - these are people whose way of getting dressed has evolved beautifully over the years and they always look on point.


Where do you get inspiration?

I love to spot people who dress well and look cool in real life, and it gets even better when I get to meet those people - that has been one of the best things about blogging and definitely the best source of inspiration.

I spend a lot of time on Instagram and I read magazines like STYLEBY and Unconditional Magazine. More recently I’ve developed a bigger interest in architecture and interior design, which has influenced my style. Travelling is an effective way of staying inspired.


Untitled

Shopping strategy?

Creating a shopping list has been my way of building a wardrobe I can rely on. I try to buy only from my favourite brands unless something to-die-for comes before me, which makes it easier to keep my style consistent and find looks within my own wardrobe. I choose to focus on personal style instead of buying into trends, but since I work in the fashion industry I am always aware of the current tendencies, and therefore trying to be selective, but picking carefully is not always easy.

I usually shop online to get what I want – Net-a-Porter and The Line stock gems.


Your favourite/most used outfit?

Right now I am living in my `Novara´ trousers from Toteme and slip-in shoes from Manolo Blahnik, my latest catch from Vestiaire Collective, and a fall coat from COS. Later in the fall I will start wearing my ´Chelsea´ coat from Toteme again which is my favourite garment.


One thing from your current wish list?

I am dreaming of a bag from Proenza Schouler and jeans from Khaite.


Untitled

Beauty wise?

I prefer a careless look and my beauty routine needs to be simple but also effective, and I am all about moisturising my skin.

I use a facial oil called ´Blue Beauty Drops’ by Raaw in a jar to moisturise my skin and I do a facial mask as often I remember – I like masks from Verso and SK-II. I also believe in the right nutrition, drinking a lot of water and getting enough sleep.


Hair routines?

My hair routine changed completely when I went blonde last year. Before that I was super careless, but I nowadays need to make effort to moisturise my hair enough, especially washing my hair has become a whole different ball game.

I can go for four of five days between washes and I use whichever shampoo is within my reach, but I do a mask at least every second time – my favourites include Sebastian Professional Penetraitt Repair Masque and Wella SP Luxe Oil Keratin Restore Mask. I also use hair oil by Rodin and let my hair dry naturally instead of blow-drying, even though I have a lot of hair and it can take forever.


Three products you rely on?

Blue Beauty Drops by Raaw in a jar, Dermablend Colour Foundation by Vichy to hide old acne scars, and Gypsy Water by Byredo.


Untitled


Lifestyle wise?

I meditate everyday using an application called Headspace and I do yoga as often as possible. Introducing those routines has been life-changing, and I believe that training the mind is key, but a good wine also does the trick of calming the mind.

I like to be on the go and experience as much as possible, but over the years I’ve become more particular about my own routines, so I try to stick to them even when I travel.


Travel destination you would recommend? Why?

My all-time favourite destinations include New York, Copenhagen, and Italy, and I’d always be going back to Australia or New Zealand. New Zealand, in particular, brings up a lot of memories and has some of the most beautiful scenery in the world. It is my happy place.

All of these have the right sort of atmosphere and keep on inspiring me.


A movie or a book that inspired you?

I think the Moomins have an amazing view on life, don’t you think?


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts